1. An Appreciation of the Southern Peak
Exploring the contrasts and variety within the Derbyshire Dales and Staffordshire Moorlands.
2. Exploring Gardens from the Armchair
(A pilgrimage in search of the art and meaning of gardens and gardening)
3. Famous Victorians
Exploring the lives and achievements of five ‘movers and shakers’ of the Victorian Age
4. Darkest England & the Way Out
Poverty and social reform in the late Victorian East End of London
5. Our Final Lot
Issues and folklore associated with death and immortality
6. The Great War – shattered illusions
The romanticized image of war on the run up to 1914 and the shattered illusions thereafter.
7. ‘The Spirit of the Times’
Exploring some of the major themes of Victorian England
8. What Do We Know About Ashbourne?
Sharing our knowledge of the ancient market town.
9. What Stories Lie Behind the Memorials
Seeking out local and national monuments and memorials.
10. The Spirit of Norway
A fascinating social, cultural and artistic look at Norway-the Land of Wonders-and its national identity, primarily from the 18th century.
For forthcoming open events click here for details